Monday, August 06, 2007

Where to go from here...

Lately, I've been giving a lot of thought to my future. Not in the way that most college-aged people do, where you bat around ideas about whether to live in this state or that one, and how to pay off your student loans. It's actually more like a five year old who says one day "I want to be an astonaut" and the next day decides they want to be a world-class jockey instead.

When I was about 9 years old, I wanted to be Chase Meridion from Batman Forever. Maybe I was closer to 11 at that point, but it doesn't really matter. She was just so unbelievably hot. And cool, and collected. I don't think I really had any idea what a criminal psychologist was at that point, but it was badass, and that was enough for me. A few years later, I think I graduated into wanting to be some kind of business woman, and my friend Jenn and I would play Realtors; instead of playing house, we would sell them for millions.

This, I think, is what led me into business in high school. My Junior year, I joined a club called DECA, and straight up without knowing a thing about entrepreneurship and finance, I made top three in the state and went to nationals. Two years in a row I was a top competitor in the FMDM (Financial Managment Decision Making) category, which basically consisted of role-play meetings where I would tell the CEO of WhateverCorp how to manage his marketing and advertising funds. It was a total crock, I'll never know if I won because I secretly have an aptitude for money managment, or if it was that I had way too much confidence and a whole lot of BS skills that was pro-requisite for a 17 year old. And have I mentioned that I hate both mathematics and money?

Throughout this entire study of my life, it is important to note that all this time I was writing. More so when I was in grade school, but I loved to make up stories. Once or twice, when I was in middle school, I actually won statewide writing competitions at a high school level. Still, I never really thought anything about it. After my first year of college, I soon realized that pre-managment core and it's stupid Calc 119 wasn't going to work with me, and so I turned back to my neverending, deeply respectful relationships with Lois Lane and April 'Neal. I was going to major in Print Journalism, and become a reporter.

Now that I'm so close to graduating, and have worked in the Television Journalism world for almost a year, I'm beginning to think that maybe I should just go back to what I've always been effortlessly good at. And that is writing stories that I completely make up. As my favorite roomate once put it (actually, I think it was earlier today), I don't like dancing to anyone's beat but mine. I not only beat my own drum, but I built it, too.

And so I think I shall be of a profession that is as open and enigmatic as the English language, and twice as old. I will be a writer.

No comments: