Friday, March 23, 2007

Today's Thoughts on Love...

***My problem? I think too much. "His" problem? Seems to be, not thinking enough. So here we are. I've arrived at a conclusion, which is as yet untried but I truly believe that with a little thoughtful experimentation on my part and the parts of others, this rule WILL stick.

True love doesn't just happen one day out of friendship. At least not to me. Any relationship I have ever had that even came CLOSE to love has started out of pure lust. Simply put, the physical attraction was there and nothing more. Eventually, it builds until you just can't help but come together, and it is AFTER that point where you get to see if there is anything else there. A few months go by, making out becomes only 95% of a relationship instead of the whole thing, and somehow you actually start getting to know each other instead of just getting down. (In the most chaste sense, obviously) When you do, you find out bit by bit whether that person is someone you could spend your whole life with, or if it really was just a fling. (In which case, you quickly move on to the next, no broken hearts necessary) That is how love (in EVERY SINGLE Disney movie, Shakespearean Comedy, and most romantic comedies) works.

The other school (ie the Old School) says that relationships begin slowly, trust develops, mutual affection happens one day and then you get married and live a life of quiet mutuality for the rest of ever. The only problem with that one, in my mind, is what happens when you're 3/4 of the way down the road to twin souls and you realize, "Ew. I really can't see myself sleeping with this person every night for the rest of my life. Do we really have to do that, or can we just skip to the growing old together part?" Therein, my friends, lies MY problem. You see, I'm not one of those girls who goes through life thinking lah dee dah, one day soon I shall be married and then I can begin my lovely wonderful life. No, unfortunately for my demographic minority, marriage is more like an end clause in a contract, something that you HAVE to do if you want all of the rest of those things that makes you complete. For me, I always pictured getting married as a side effect to falling in love. Someone will seriously have to hit me over the head with a shovel and drag me away Caveman style, I promised myself. Of course, I'm speaking figuratively here. It's not like I'm saying that the only way I'll be stupid enough to walk down the aisle is if I have severe brain trauma. And yet... perhaps.

Or, I could be stupidly in love. Which has yet to happen. And honestly, I really think it's going to take a strong dose of Ruhypnol or for me to be totally not paying attention. And even then, you'll need a freaking huge shovel. Either way, I've realized something. I don't think I'm one of those people who can get on the Friend Train and halfway there realize you're accidentaly heading to Marriageville. No, for me I think it's going to end up being one of those "NCMO...who knew we would both accidently fall for eachother!" trips.

And isn't that just so picturesqe. Happily Ever Freaking After.

***Disclaimer: I'm actually really pissed off as I write this. Not like you couldn't tell, but I sometimes have these manhater moments; a few scattered specs of anger and occasional thoughts of gendercide thrown into an otherwise uniform and pleasant fabric. Like Tweed.
So please don't judge me based on the fact that right now all I really want to do is make war on an entire generation of factory fault miscreants that we in this day and age call "Men". Idiots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive me for being a little online creep and reading your pissed-post. It really was a good read. What a little heckler I am. Sorry.

This is Buh. We're strangers. Please don't think I'm trying to make nice for benefits. Cold hermits such as myself don't do that sort of thing. I had a question.

What does your pissed self think of about the few old school type guys who need the forward caveGIRL to do the whole shovel-to-the-skull marriage trick?

Please look past my negative-type male qualities if you even answer this. You seem real pissed and prone to violent deeds. I know I might be way out of line to ask.

Vandersun said...

So I would have responded to you directly, but your profile is unfortunately unavailable.
First of all, I hope you don't think I'm a raging beast because of one day of frustration. If you read any of my previous posts, you'd see that I'm normally quite positive and jovial.

In answer to your question though, I think that "old school" wouldn't be the correct term to apply to a guy who needed the girl to make a move on him. I agree that there are a lot of guys who can't make the FIRST move and need a little help asking a girl out, etc and that's fine. But in making that last and final step, I don't think a girl should have to force a guy to marry her if she wants to get married. In my little imaginary view of how things should work out, he's so crazy about her anyway that he's going to marry her pretty much no matter what. And the device of the shovel is really just symbolic of how love just hits her over the head and bam, it's over. She can't even think of running away.

And that's what I meant by the Caveman.